Submission of a doctoral thesis in English
Depending on the Corona situation, the provisions might be apt to change. There are also some general FAQ with information on currently adapted procedures (only in German). Please contact us via e-mail well in advance after having read the following information if you intend to submit a thesis.
The process of submission is divided into the electronic submission in UNIGRAZonline and the submission of hard bound copies (print version) of your thesis at the Dean's Office of the Faculty of Law. Do not send any hard bound copies of your thesis to your supervisors since they are expected to assess the version they will receive from the Dean's Office. Before being allowed to submit the hard bound copies of your thesis, the electronic submission has to have been completed (= electronic approval of the abstracts in UNIGRAZonline by the supervisor).
Before starting the official process of submission, please make sure
- you meet all the formal requirements stated here, on the website and in the curriculum of your specific study programme,
- the final wording of the title is identical to the (final) version of the wording having been approved by the Dean of Studies (check in UNIGRAZonline),
- to have prepared your abstracts in English and in German and that they are not any longer than 2,000 characters including space characters,
- to have used our template for the cover page in order to avoid any mistakes in wording which might lead to a prolongation of the successful submission.
The thesis and the abstracts (in English and German) have to be uploaded in UNIGRAZonline. The thesis is to be uploaded as a PDF document, the abstracts have to be entered directly in a field.
Use a PDF-writer in order to convert the final version of the thesis to PDF format. Make sure that the electronic version (PDF) and the bound copies of your thesis to be submitted are identical -- not only in terms of contents, but also in formatting! The PDF document must not be encoded or protected. Otherwise, it cannot be processed by the plagiarism programme and will have to be uploaded again which will lead to a prolongation of the submission process. For technical reasons, please make sure that the file size of your thesis is not larger than 40MB. Please use the smallest possible file format for all the pictures included in your thesis.
Prepare your abstracts in English and in German to be uploaded and make sure that they are not any longer than 2,000 characters including space characters (minimum: 1,700). You will be able to enter more characters, but when submitting the bound copies, they will be rejected if the abstracts exceed a length of 2,000 characters including space characters (so please carefully check directly in UNIGRAZonline how many characters are still left - only if there are more than 2,000 characters left, the length of the abstract is ok.)
In case you face any technical problems uploading the PDF or entering the abstracts, please contact our IT services for students.
The abstracts in UNIGRAZonline have to be approved electronically by your first supervisor. As long as they have not been approved (= completation of the electronic submission), you will not be allowed to submit the bound copies of your thesis at the Dean's Office. On the other hand, the sole electronic submission without any submission of bound copies at the Dean's Office will not lead to any official assessment.
In order to do the uploads/electronic submission (PDF and abstracts in English and German),
- log in to UNIGRAZonline,
- open your personal business card and
- click on "theses" (listed in the left hand corner below the heading "Teaching & Research").
- The title of your thesis will appear.
- Click onto the title and click "edit" in order to enter your abstracts (max. 2,000 characters incl. space characters, minimum: 1,700) into both text fields for the abstracts (English and German). You will be able to enter more characters, but when submitting the bound copies, they will be rejected if the abstracts exceed a length of 2,000 characters including space characters. So please make sure that there are more than 2,000 characters left (otherwise, the abstract is too long and the submission of your thesis will not be accepted by the Dean's Office)
- Upload the full text version of the thesis (PDF).
- After you've successfully uploaded your thesis and the abstracts, the abstracts need to be approved electronically by your first supervisor. He/she will receive an e-mail from UNIGRAZonline that abstracts were uploaded. Before the approval, the bound copies must not be submitted.
- You will notice that your abstracts have been approved by your supervisor when all bullet points are green (instead of orange). You will not receive a message, so please check regularly by yourself in UNIGRAZonline. When all bullet points appear in green colour, the bound copies can be submitted. The bound copies must not be submitted as long as the abstracts have not been approved.
Please finde here a video tutorial (German only) on how to do the uploads. See also below "electronic plagiarism check".
Please contact us via e-mail well in advance if you intend to submit a thesis.
All types of theses submitted at the University of Graz have to be hard bound. We do not accept soft bound, loose leaf or comb bound theses. Please make sure to comply with all the general requirements stated on this page as well as with all the specific formal requirements stated for your specific study programme before submitting the hard bound copies. They will not be accepted unless all the requirements have been met.
So among other requirements, please make sure the electronic version is identical with the print versions of the thesis, you used our template for the cover page and that the abstracts have been approved in UNIGRAZonline by the first supervisor.
Please check the opening hours of the Dean's Office of the Law Faculty in advance.
After the submission, the Dean's Office will approve the submission in UNIGRAZonline which will initiate the the electronic check of plagiarism. Please find here details about the the electronic plagiarism check.
After the electronic plagiarism check has finished, which may take up to 24 hours, the bound copies of your thesis will be forwarded to your supervisors (readers) by the Dean's Office.
Servicestelle für Studierende
RESOWI Bauteil A/EG
Ein Einbringen von Anfragen/Anträgen ist auch weiterhin per E-Mail/Telefon möglich!
Falls erforderlich, können unter https://rewi.uni-graz.at/de/terminbuchungen/ persönliche Termine vereinbart werden.